Conditions treated with Myers’ Cocktail Intravenous Push:
- Migraines and cluster headaches
- Fatigue including chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)
- Fibromyalgia (FMS), myofacial pain
- Acute muscle spasm
- Upper respiratory tract infections
- Acute asthma attacks
- Chronic sinusitis
- Viral infections, herpes
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis
- Cardiovascular disease, angina
- Paresthesias, numbness, tingling
- Chronic pain
- High Blood Pressure
- Depression, anxiety
- Hives and eczema
- Neuropathic pain in cancer patients
- Narcotic Withdrawal
What is the Myers' Cocktail?
This formula is an intravenous (IV) vitamin and mineral treatment containing magnesium, calcium, selenium, B vitamins, vitamin C and other nutrients that I have found to be effective in so many common conditions. Furthermore it bypasses absorption issues which many patients suffer from. IV nutrients achieve serum concentrations not obtainable with oral or even intramuscular administration. Due to saturation of intestinal absorption and an increase in clearance by the kidneys oral dosing reaches a limit of concentration in the blood. For instance, increasing oral vitamin C by 1200% from 200 mg/day to 2,500 mg/day increases plasma concentration by only 25%. Delivery by IV administers a plasma level of the nutrient almost 10 times that of oral. These doses are often needed to have an effect with an illness such as a viral infection. For instance, the antiviral effect of vitamin C has been demonstrated at a concentration of 10 to 15 mg/dL, a level that can be obtained by IV but not oral dosing.
The Myers' Push takes from 10 to 15 minutes to administer and is quite safe. I have done sometimes 3 to 5 of these treatments each day for almost 10 years and have never had an adverse reaction. Patients may notice a slight flush in the chest and/or face, sometimes patients feel it in the legs as well which indicates an increase in blood flow to the area. Patients may also notice a slight metallic taste as the minerals pass through the circulation of the palate.
Ingredients in the Myers' Cocktail have been shown to have the following effects in the body:
- Vitamin C reduces histamine by 72% at a concentration of 88mg/dL having a beneficial effect with allergies. Vitamin C and vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) are stored in the adrenal glands which are responsible for maintaining energy levels throughout the day. Vitamin C at 10 to 20ccs boosts immunity and is helpful in treating viral and bacterial infections.
- Magnesium relaxes smooth muscle both in the lung and circulation that may have beneficial effects on asthma, hypertension and angina. IV magnesium has been shown in studies to relieve the pain of migraine headaches within 15 minutes and also to completely relieve symptoms of photophobia, nausea and vomiting. Magnesium has also shown to benefit sufferers of CFS in that they notice decreased pain, improved emotional state and reduction or complete elimination of fatigue. Magnesium, along with calcium, vitamin C and B vitamins given IV or IM showed improvement in 74% of sufferers of fibromyalgia and myofacial pain.
- IV calcium has been shown to be beneficial in relieving the symptoms of asthma.
- Selenium aids in detoxification of heavy metals.
- B vitamins in the IV solution may have an effect on energy levels.